compile help: cannot find -ldb

Using either apt-get source -b foo or dpkg-buildpackage after the
fact, I have a number of debian source packages fail on me. In most
cases the most conspicuous symptom is the following stderr line:

/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -ldb

What package am I missing? OR is it a ./configure problem?

Some bits of information about my setup:

(1) Source packages that have  failed to build: gtktalog , gnucash.
(2) libdb2-dev installed

---BEGIN BASH OUTPUT---
debian:~$ dpkg -l | grep "libdb2"
ii  libdb2         2.4.14-2.7.7.1 The Berkeley database routines
(run-time fil
ii  libdb2-dev     2.4.14-2.7.7.1 The Berkeley database routines
(development
ii  libdb2-util    2.4.14-2.7.7.1 The Berkeley database routines
(development
---END BASH OUTPUT---