Re: 3c509 with 2.4.0 kernel and sid

On Fri, Jan 26, 2001 at 12:27:41AM -0600, Bill Bell wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have a dual NIC system using two 3c509 cards.  This configuration has
> been working well under sid with a 2.2.18 kernel (my current system).
> I have been trying to move up to a 2.4.0 kernel and I am having
> problems.
>
> My problem is when booting with the 2.4.0 kernel, both NIC cards have
> the wrong media port enabled.  The boot message is saying something
> like "Coax port" instead of "10baseT port".

The Ethernet HOWTO says:

  3c509B users should use either the supplied DOS utility to disable the
  plug and play support, and to set the output media to what they
  require. The linux driver currently does not support the Autodetect
  media setting, so you have to select 10Base-T or 10Base-2 or AUI.
  Note that to turn off PnP entirely, you should do a 3C5X9CFG
  /PNP:DISABLE and then follow that with a hard reset to ensure that it
  takes effect.

Have you set the port to 10Base-T?

> This is the lilo.conf append line I use to get both cards working for
> the 2.2.18 kernel.
>
> append="ether=10,0x300,eth0 ether=11,0x310,eth1"

I don't think you need this.  The kernel detects the cards in MAC
address order (it has done this for me, at least since about 2.2.13 or
so).

I'm getting a bad vibe from 0x310 for eth1; try configuring it for
another IO.  I have a firewall with two 3c509Bs, eth0 at 10,0x300 and
eth1 and 11,0x2e0.  kernel 2.2.17 and no append line (to be fair, i've
got the 10Base-T only versions here)

Read the Ethernet HOWTO, it has other things which may or may not
affect your situation that I don't quote here.

Micromuse Inc.                 | than a perfect plan tomorrow.