From: "John Hasler" <john@dhh.gt.org>
To: <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Sunday, January 21, 2001 1:45 PM
Subject: Re: PPP connection can't find servers

> Jake Hoban writes:
> > I've got to the point where it dials my ISP to get to the FTP server,
but
> > it never connects to it and after a while the modem hangs up.
>
> Post copies of /etc/chatscripts/provider, /etc/ppp/peers/provider,
> /etc/ppp/pap-secrets, /etc/ppp/chap-secrets (munge passwords), and the
> output of the 'plog' command.
> --
> John Hasler
> john@dhh.gt.org
> Dancing Horse Hill
> Elmwood, Wisconsin
>

> --
listmaster@lists.debian.org

# This chatfile was generated by pppconfig 2.0.5.
# Please do not delete any of the comments.  Pppconfig needs them.
#
# ispauth PAP
# abortstring
ABORT BUSY ABORT 'NO CARRIER' ABORT VOICE ABORT 'NO DIALTONE' ABORT 'NO DIAL TONE' ABORT 'NO ANSWER'
# modeminit
'' ATZ
# ispnumber
OK-AT-OK 'ATDT1690 0845 353 0220'
# ispconnect
 CONNECT
# prelogin
# ispname
# isppassword
# postlogin
# end of pppconfig stuff
# This optionfile was generated by pppconfig 2.0.5.
#
#
hide-password
noauth
connect "/usr/sbin/chat -v -f /etc/chatscripts/provider"
debug
/dev/ttyS0
115200
defaultroute
noipdefault
user jhoban.worldonline.co.uk

ipparam provider

remotename provider
#
# /etc/ppp/pap-secrets
#
# This is a pap-secrets file to be used with the AUTO_PPP function of
# mgetty. mgetty-0.99 is preconfigured to startup pppd with the login option
# which will cause pppd to consult /etc/passwd (and /etc/shadow in turn)
# after a user has passed this file. Don't be disturbed therfore by the fact
# that this file defines logins with any password for users. /etc/passwd
# (again, /etc/shadow, too) will catch passwd mismatches.
#
# This file should block ALL users that should not be able to do AUTO_PPP.
# AUTO_PPP bypasses the usual login program so its necessary to list all
# system userids with regular passwords here.
#
# ATTENTION: The definitions here can allow users to login without a
# password if you don't use the login option of pppd! The mgetty Debian
# package already provides this option; make sure you don't change that.
# INBOUND connections
# Every regular user can use PPP and has to use passwords from /etc/passwd
*	alpha	""	*
# UserIDs that cannot use PPP at all. Check your /etc/passwd and add any
# other accounts that should not be able to use pppd!
guest	alpha	"*"	-
master	alpha	"*"	-
root	alpha	"*"	-
support	alpha	"*"	-
stats	alpha	"*"	-
# OUTBOUND connections
# Here you should add your userid password to connect to your providers via
# PAP. The * means that the password is to be used for ANY host you connect
# to. Thus you do not have to worry about the foreign machine name. Just
# replace password with your password.
# If you have different providers with different passwords then you better
# remove the following line.
alpha	*	mypassword
jhoban.worldonline.co.uk provider mypassword
# Secrets for authentication using CHAP
# client	server	secret			IP addresses
jhoban.worldonline.co.uk * mypassword