Re: help! just upgraded and now can't login!

on Sun, Jan 21, 2001 at 11:02:08PM +0800, Tim&Pep (amugbmug@pacific.net.ph) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm a Debian newbie. I have just used apt-get to upgrade my system and
> now I can't seem to log in at all under X. I can login on one of the
> other virtual terminals (or whatever you call that when you press
> ctrl-alt F6). What have I done? Can I fix it? Thanks.

Describe your system, actions, and responses in more detail.

How are you starting X?  What display manager (if any) are you using?
How does it respond:  login denied, X restarts, system crash?  What
happens when you start X from the command line?  What's in your
xsession-errors log?