Understanding Mutt + Fetchmail + Procmail

It's taking me a bit of time to understand I few things about how Mutt,
Fetchmail and Procmail work together (I am moving from kmail).

I use exim to send mail and fetch my mail from my ISP's pop server.

I think the process should be:

Fetchmail fetches my mail from my ISP's pop server and handles it to Procmail
(when set this way of course, if it wasn't would it be stored in
/var/spool/mail/user? )

Procmail places mail received from fetchmail using exim, in different folders
under ~/Mail (I did set it this way) messages that don't match any of
Procmail's rules are left in /var/spool/mail/user?

Then I run Mutt. Mutt first checks under what I set as the spool file
(/var/spool/mail/user) is the equivalent to what used to be ~/Mail/Inbox?
However if I close Mutt everything in there gets moved to ~/Mail/mbox, I
don't understand this behaviour.

I made a setting to tell mutt which folders to look for new mail, these were
all folders to which Procmail was supposed to move mail to. Does that mean
that when I open Mutt it will show me all new messages in those folders?
Or do I have to pass through all of them to check for new mail?

Could someone please help me with this, I am quite confused and I really want
to move to mutt.
--
Daniel de los Reyes