Re: x on my laptop problems

On 19 Jan 01 15:52:36 GMT, Forrest English <forrest@truffula.net> wrote:

>i just tried apt-get install tast-x-window-system-core
>
>it broke debconf.  it said it was upgrading debconf (sources pointing at
>unstable), and now all packages won't install.	 because debconf won't
>install because of aparently a perl problem.  and then everything else
>fails on depconf because it 'isn't configured yet'
>
>would anyone like to help?  or is this just what i get for trying to run
>unstable?

I wasn't aware you were trying to go straight to unstable from a
(presumably) stable base system install.

Aiming for a bleeding edge unstable system straight off may be a bit
ambitious. Practically speaking, since there are no unstable (or even
testing) boot floppies, you are going to be installing a stable
(potato) system anyway, then upgrading it. I would suggest taking
things slow and steady, spending some time working with a stable setup
before taking the big plunge.

But if you are impatient, then try 'apt-get dist-upgrade' before trying
to install any more packages. Don't be shy about running apt-get
again if it fails, it often takes a different approach on the second
attempt.

>man...	i don't want to install from floppies a second time...	that took
>me over an hour.

I think you will have to resign yourself to spending a bit more than an
hour on this :-)

If you do start over, here's how I suggest you go (I'm assuming here
you will be doing a network install using the NIC you mentioned
previously).

* Start the install using the basic boot floppy set. You won't need all
  the base system floppies, just the 5 for rescue, root and drivers.
* When you come to the point where you are asked to configure drivers
  with configuring PCMCIA as an alternative, *take the alternative*. Do
  the PCMCIA config first, *then* the drivers.
* Configure networking, then do the base system install over the
  network.
* When you set up the apt sources, go for a stable install.
* When you are given the option of a simple or advanced package
  selection, go for 'simple'. Go for a bare minimim selection of task
  packages at this stage. In your case probably just
  task-x-window-system-core. You can always run 'tasksel' again after
  the install.

At the end of the process you may or may not have X working, but you
should at least have all the necessary packages installed. Getting X to
work on a laptop can be a bear, and you can expect to be coming back
for more help at that stage.

When you eventually have things running you can then think about
changing your apt sources and upgrading to unstable, although I would
advise you to try testing first.

Frank