Re: epson stylus color 740 - ugly printing

Wow a lot of interest on this subject.  Sorry it took so long
to get back to you guys but I had to wait until I got home
from the office so I could check on things for you.

A few "dpkg -l" piped through "grep" shows what packages that
I have installed.  "enscript" was on my 2nd CD, the rest were
found on my 1st CD.  Use "apt-get install" to install.

ii  enscript       1.6.2-4        Converts ASCII text to Postscript, HTML, RTF
ii  gs             5.10-10.1      Postscript interpreter with X11 and svgalib
ii  gsfonts        5.10a-2        Fonts for the ghostscript interpreter
ii  lpr            0.48-1         BSD lpr/lpd line printer spooling system

To set up my Epson 740 printer, I wrote a script that copies
three ghostscript drivers for the Epson 740 printer to the ghostscript
directories.  It then creates /var/spool/lpd/{lp|lp1|lp2} directories
and places "print filters" in each of the directories.  Finally the
script copies a "pre-defined" "printcap" file in the /etc directory.
Once all is setup you just restart the printer daemon to pick up
the new /etc/printcap file (/etc/init.d/lpd {stop|start}).

I can the use "lpr" to print 720x720 resolution,  "lpr -Plp1" for
360x360 (draft quality), and "lpr -Plp2" for 1440x720 (photo quality).

I have a gziped tar file ( about 33K ) that contains my install script,
the printfilters, and the ghostscript print filters for the Epson 740.

All you need, besides my tar file, are the above mentioned packages.

If you would like a copy of my tar file just drop me an email
at cwaiken@telerama.com and I will be more that happy to email it
to you.

--
Christopher W. Aiken, Scenery Hill, Pa, USA
chris at cwaiken dot com,   www.cwaiken.com