Re: x on my laptop problems

i just tried apt-get install tast-x-window-system-core

it broke debconf.  it said it was upgrading debconf (sources pointing at
unstable), and now all packages won't install.	 because debconf won't
install because of aparently a perl problem.  and then everything else
fails on depconf because it 'isn't configured yet'

would anyone like to help?  or is this just what i get for trying to run
unstable?

man...	i don't want to install from floppies a second time...	that took
me over an hour.

On Fri, 19 Jan 2001 08:39:06 -0500, Bob Rowe whispered to the router:

!!This is one of the things that has driven be buggy about Debian. Of
three
!! attempted installations on my home machine, an old HP Vectra VL and a
!! Toshiba 430CDT portable, only the Vectra presented a successful
installation.
!!
!! I had the problem quoted below on the 430CDT after the base
installation. I
!! tried the apt-get statement cited in this email response--apt said the
!! task-x-window-system-core was installed. I did apt-cache show to see
if
!! there were fixed fonts of any description on the machine and there
were
!! not. I also did a find with the same result. So I did apt-get update,
then
!! tried apt-cache show again. Nothing. I tried apt-get search xfonts*
and
!! still came up with nothing. Nichego. Nada.
!!
!! Today or tomorrow I will try RH7. That one, RH7, installed without a
hitch
!! on my home machine. Why is that? Why should one distribution install
and
!! another one will not? I presented my problems to this list and got
some
!! well-thought-out responses, but they didn't help.
!!
!! I would really like to switch to Debian because of dpkg and apt, and
!! because Red Hat seems to be intent on becoming the Micr$oft of Linux
distros.
!!