Re: Full System Restore with tar: Reminder!

On Fri, Jan 19, 2001 at 10:13:59AM -0500, Bob Hilliard wrote:
> Ethan Benson <erbenson@alaska.net> writes:
> > dpkg --get-selections > foo does not create a full backup, it only
> > creates a backup of installed packages, NOT removed packages. =20
> >
> > dpkg --get-selections \* > full will give you a true full backup.=20
> >
> > do both commands and then diff the two files. =20
>
>      Why do this?
>
>      If I purge (I _never_ remove) a package it is because I don't
> want it on my system anymore.  I run a new dpkg--get-selections>foo
> whenever I remove a package.

that is my point, purges or removes will NOT be saved with dpkg
--get-selections > foo

the \* is what catches the purged and removed packages and adds those
to the list.  otherwise your selections file will only contain
installs, and will only cause packages you installed to be reinstalled
on a restoration, it will NOT causes packages you removed/purged to
be removed/purged.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/