Re: stripe swapping

Alvin Oga wrote:

> hi ya knud
>
> i dont think you wanna do that ???
>
> think you want something more like...
>
> /dev/mdx  /dev/hda2 /dev/hdc2
>
> where they are all mkswap formats instead of normal ext2
>
> than it should work.....donno...never tried it...

Are you suggesting that I run the swap space over the raid ?

This was my primary intention too, to get high avability via raid1.

But I read that the is some problem with that.

That the raid need memory to swap, and that this memory then get swapped
-> error.

So, I decided to use the kernels stripe swapping.

> but it does work for "stripped data"...
>
> and am assuming oyu have setup /etc/raidtab properly
> too
>
> if you need to use swapp space that much...
> add more memory......its only $45 for 64Mb or $65 for 128Mb ...
> or even less on mailorder places ????

There server i work on have 640Mb.

But I have 2 identical disks.
with raid1 on the first partition on each leaves me with 2 partitions
if I only use one for swap, I still got on left.

So, why not use it for stripe swapping and increase the speed of the
swap space.

Knud