Re: stripe swapping

hi ya knud

there is almost no point to using swap space....
let alone making it redundant or ha...

if you have 640Mb of ram.... how big is your biggest
appp andits associated data ??? if over 640Mb...than yeah
you need swap

and some motherboards supports 4Gb of ram...

--------

for your partition issues... its a poor argument for why
you need swap space....

with two identical drives...and performance is an issue
...yes....raid stripping cane make READS faster....but
writes will be slower.... how many times do you write
vs reading it back ???

for number or partitions....
my own preference is..
	/	64mb
	/tmp	129Mb or something
	/var	512Mb or something larger for large web/email/log servers
	/usr	2048M or 4096Mb	  ( /usr/local can be /opt/local too ifneeded )
	<swap>	2x ram
	/opt	rest of the disks  ( /home is moved to /opt/home )

	and i backup only /etc and /opt/home if needed

than all those partitions are stripped with its other drive
and/or mirrored.... for "mirroring"...

- whether you use raid0 or raid1 would depend on what is more
  important to you....fast reads or possible fast recovery from disk crash
  but NOT both...

have fun raiding...
alvin