Re: epson stylus color 740 - ugly printing

Matthew Dalton wrote:

> Erik Steffl wrote:
> >
> >   I have epson stylus color 740 printer and cupsys 1.1.4-3
> >
> >   the printing seems to be working but:
> >
> >   lp -d epson740 picture.jpg       # 360 dpi
> >
> >   prints a picture but it's ugly, the colors are quite off (not
> > completely off, just noticeably different)
>
> Like I said to someone on this mailing list less than 2 hours ago:
>
> http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net

  thanks for the response. I did install the gimp-print but:

  1) I have cups installed, how do I use the gimp driver? when I choose
printing from gimp and choose anything else but the postscript driver it
simply does not get out to the printer and it seems that cups dies.
there are no error messages but nothing gets printed and localhost:631
does not respond. in other words: how do I send data to printer so that
it bypasses all the filters and goes straight to the printer?

  2) after I installed the cups related part I cannot configure or
manage printers anymore (via localhost:631). I still can add the
printer, I added one with the new driver from gimp-print and it seems to
do slightly better job but I would like to fine tune it - how do I do it
when localhost:631 does not allow me to? how to fix it?

  my system:
    debian unstable,
    kernel 2.2.17
    ii  cupsys         1.1.4-3
    ii  cupsys-bsd     1.1.4-3
    ii  cupsys-client  1.1.4-3
    print-4.1.1.tar.gz

  btw the cups part didn't compile/build right away, the epson.c misses
cups/http.h and also -lcups and -lcupsimage libraries are missing in
Makefile...

  are there plans to package gimp-print? include the cups part in cups?

  TIA

	erik