epson stylus color 740 - ugly printing

  I have epson stylus color 740 printer and cupsys 1.1.4-3

  the printing seems to be working but:

  lp -d epson740 picture.jpg       # 360 dpi

  prints a picture but it's ugly, the colors are quite off (not
completely off, just noticeably different)

  lp -d epson740_720 picture.jpg    # 720 dpi

  prints a more detailed picture but colors are even worse, like 1000
times washed t-shirt...

  printing from gimp (same picture) and choosing epson740 printer (with
print command: lp -d epson740), choosing postscript driver prints almost
black&white picture, there are just few traces of color here and
there...

  is there a solution? I remember reading that the epson stylus color
driver has problems with colors but that was two years ago (driver for
gs).

  gimp seems to have drivers for some epson models but when I try to use
them the cups dies (does not respond anymore, the help interface is dead
and the printers do not work) - is there a way to persuade cups to let
the raw data to printer without interfering?

  TIA

	erik