Re: Aaaarrrgggghhh!!!!

--- Peter Hugosson-Miller <pehu@im.se> wrote:
> If you still have them, why don't you try to see if those
> OSS/commercial drivers
> work together with Debian?
>
> I for one would be _very_ interested to know if that
> works - it would probably be
> cheaper to buy commercial drivers for the card I have
> than to buy a new card
> (what do they charge BTW?).

Oh, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't work w/ the current
kernel.  You see, part of the reason I used SuSE for so
long was the _excellent_ sound support.  But, on SuSE 6.4,
when the kernel was updated ( when the 2.2 kernel had that
nasty vulnerability in it a while back), my sound stopped
working.  Two things: a)  SuSE was shipping a slightly
dated version of the OSS drivers (something like 3.7.x vs
3.9.x which was current at the time) b) the drivers were
compiled for a specific kernel (2.2.13, I think).  So when
the updated kernel came out from SuSE, guess what.  My
sound broke.  Their (SuSE) answer?  Tough.  Either stay w/
the old (vulnerable) kernel, or use the newer kernel
drivers (like I'm trying to now), or try out ALSA, which
didn't work for me at the time, but that may have been
entirely due to my own incompetency.  I ended up buying the
drivers from OSS for the new kernel.  I think it costs like
$20.  You can get free download versions that are limited
to a couple hours at a time, i.e. load the module, and two
hours later, it auto-unloads, or something like that.  That
way you can make sure the driver works on your system.

I'm just not sure I like the idea of the driver being tied
that closely to a specific kernel revision.  I could
understand a driver for the 2.2.x series not working on a
2.4.x kernel, but one for 2.2.13 not working on 2.2.15 was
a bit hard to swallow.