Matrox + XF4 + 2.4

Morning,

I have been trying to help my brother set up his new Matrox G450 under
debian GNU/Linux.  It is their unstable (woody) distro.  I have search the
web and everyone says it is easy just put this as your configure file...,
but it is always the same XF86Config-4 file and it never works.  I compiled
a fresh 2.4.0 kernel myself.  Every time we try another config or anything
it Gives the same error "scan out of range" is printed to the monitor.  I
am hoping that some one here has this setup, or some matrox G400 card.  It
is hard to debug, when the XFree86 is launched the process consumes 99.9%
of cpu and killall -9 X cannot not even stop the process!!  We are forced
to reboot.

We did not try and compile our own XFree86, tried, but that is out of our
league.  The Matrox website says to compile an XFree86 with their patch,
but With X4.0 and K2.4 I would think that it is not required.

Any success/failure stories would be helpful  `:)

james