Re: Aaaarrrgggghhh!!!!

Oh, hell.  I hate it when I have to retract a statement
like this.  Looks like I was _very_ wrong (big surprise
there, huh?) about the OSS drivers.  Either I didn't find
this page before, or the info wasn't as _blatantly_ obvious
as it is now (possibility).  But, in any event, here it is:

http://www.4front-tech.com/linux-x86.html

It discusses how to deal w/ kernel version
incompatibilities by enabling mod_versions during kernel
config.

One curiosity, though, is the section where it talks about
the drivers tendency to not like things like the 'ac-xx)
patch modifications, in that it looks at the name and only
looks for the base kernel release, and doesn't recognize
stuff like Alan Cox's patches.  Wonder how it does w/
Debians make-kpkg and the naming conventions.  May have to
leave off the '--revision=custom.x.x) bit.

I may d/l and try this tonite.  Figure it can't be any
worse than what I've gone thru already.

Monte

=====

"Here, catch!  Don't worry, it won't bite...BBZZZZAAAAPPP!!!...much <snicker>"

What an unsuspecting mechanic hears as he learns to never, ever, play 'Catch' with a bored electrician  ;)

Monte Milanuk