Re: ipchains and 2.4

To quote "Jason Arden" <Jason@packet-man.net>,
# >>ipchains: Incompatible with this kernel<<

Linux 2.4.0 contains another re-write of the network/filtering code.
It's now called 'Netfilter', and it's pretty sweet, in my humble
opinion. Anyways, it's a re-write, and there are a number of userspace
changes. One of which is the switch to 'iptables', as opposed to
'ipchains'. 'iptables' uses different syntax, different targets, you
name it, it's probably different. However, this one feels "right" :) I
always found 'ipchains' a bit of a pain to deal with, and I'm much
happier with 'iptables'.

But don't fret ;) You need not re-write all your 'ipchains' rulesets
just yet. In the kernel config, under "Network options" say "Y" to
"Network packet filtering (replaces ipchains)". This turns on the new
Netfilter code. Then, in the next dialog/tree("IP: Netfilter
Configuration"), scroll right down to the bottom. There, you'll see
"ipchains (2.2-style) support". Make sure all the options above it are
set to "N", and then say "Y" to "ipchains (2.2-style) support". That'll
let all your old 'ipchains' commands work.

However, that's a compatibility layer, and you should start making
efforts to port any ipchains-dependant software you use over to
'iptables'.

David Barclay Harris, Clan Barclay
    Aut agere, aut mori. (Either action, or death.)