ipchains and 2.4

Hello everyone...

I have migrated over from Redhat and Mandrake to Debian and am loving it. I
had compiled 2.2.18 successfully a few months ago and had been using it
awhile. I heard that 2.4 became stable so I compiled it and installed it...
I cannot get ipchains to work... Im not sure if I missed something in the
config or if it doesnt support it at all. I noticed there was an option to
install Network Packet filtering which replaced ipchains... Did I miss
something or is ipchains not supported at all?

>>ipchains: Incompatible with this kernel<<

Thanks for your help...
Jason

P.S. APT RULES.