Re: Running fetchmail as daemon - mail goes to postmaster

Phillip Deackes wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Jan 2001 09:09:51 -0600
> "Keith G. Murphy" <keithmur@mindspring.com> wrote:
>
> > > Don't know what you have in your .fetchmailrc (you really should have
> > posted it), but have you looked at using the 'to' (or 'is <username>
> > here') clause?  That's what tells it what the local recipient username
> > is.  man fetchmail.  Seems like it should already know that, but it's
> > worth a shot.
> >
> > The default local username it uses is supposed to be the one you log
> > into the POP server with, I believe.  Does that user exist on your
> > system?
>
> Sorry. Here is my .fetchmailrc:
>
> poll <smtpserver>
> protocol pop3
> username <user-a> is <user-b> on this system
> password xxxxxxxxxxx

I cc-ed this to the list so other folks might benefit or contribute.
But I took out any specific names that you might not want public for
some reason.

I couldn't get that to work when I used 'on this system', nor can I see
those as allowed 'noise' words in the documentation.  What works for me
is just plain old:

username <user-a> to <user-b>

Where did you get the 'on this system' syntax from?

> > By the way, you're supposed to be able to run fetchmail as a daemon
> > under your own username.  That might make it magically work as well.
> > :-)
>
> Yeah, I always ran fetchmail as soon as I logged on. However, to get it
> started automatically on boot up it goes into /etc/init.d etc. and it runs
> as root.
>
> I suppose I could manually start it each time myself, but it is far neater
> to have it start when my system boots up.

Well, it's the syntax that's wrong, anyway, I believe.  Hmmm, just
checked 'man 5 crontab', and it says you could use '@reboot' for this
sort of thing.  Lovely thing, manpages.