Re: LILO Problem

On Thu, Jan 11, 2001 at 10:44:20AM -0500, Bob Billson wrote:
| Linux maps drives like this:
|        MSDOS    Linux
|        ~~~~~    ~~~~~
|         C:       hda    (master, primary controller)
|         D:       hdb    (secondary, primary controller)
|         E:       hdc    (master, secondary controller)
|         F:       hdd    (secondary, secondary controller)
|         (and so on)

Close but not exactly.  In MSDOS/Windows C:, D:, etc refer to
partitions.  This may or may not coincide with the physical drives.
Also, in Linux, hda, hdb, etc refer to the entire drive rather than
any single partition.  Take for example a system with 2 drives on the
primary conroller with 2 partitions each (all vfat).  The mapping
would be:

C:	hda1
D:	hda2
E:	hdb1
F:	hdb2

Now suppose you have the same 2 drives, but now 2 partitions aren't
vfat (say ext2 instead).

C:	hda1
D:	hdb2

Windows doesn't label the other partitions since it doesn't know about
them.

| If this is what you are doing, your drives are really partition like this:
|    hda1=windows
|    hda3=/
|    hda5=/home
|    hda6=/usr
|    hda4=swap

In this setup, if I assume that all Linux partitions are ext2, then in
MSDOS you have C: only.  No other drives (for harddrive, CD comes
after last HD).

Linux uses different letters for different drive types.  A: usually
refers to /dev/fd0.  SCSI drives are something like /dev/sd0 (but I
don't have SCSI so I probably don't have it quite right)

This is just to clear up a possible misunderstanding.

HTH,
-D