Re: [2.4.0] migration to devfs

To quote iehrenwald@earthlink.net,
# Can you give us a rundown on how to get this to work?  I followed the
# instructions in the README but the permissions and owner/group bits
never
# stayed the way I wanted them.  (eg: root.audio for all of /dev/sound,
# root.video for all of /dev/v4l, etc).  I'm using the devfsd from
unstable
# now.
#
# Also, I use the NVIDIA binary XFree86 4.0.1 driver.  This driver needs
# five entries in /dev to work.  I can't get devfs to keep those entries

# there across reboots.  I made a script to do make those entries every
time
# the system is booted but I'm sure there is a prorper way of doing it.

Since I don't know much about your system, all I can do is tell you how
I got it to work.

I'm running unstable(Sid), so I just did an 'apt-get install devfsd'. If
you're not running Sid, I imagine you can pick up the source package,
and build it(using dpkg-buildpackage). You could also temporarily change
the 'deb-src' line in your /etc/apt/sources.list to point to "unstable",
and do an 'apt-get -b source devfsd'.

That installed a script(s?) in /etc/init.d, which start devfsd at
boot-time. Of course, you have to have the kernel automatically mount
devfs in /dev, which is available as an option in the kernel
pre-compilation configuration. If you didn't select it there, add
"devfs=mount" as an argument to the kernel, either through
/etc/lilo.conf, or at the boot-time LILO prompt.

Then, it Just Worked(tm). All ownerships and permissions are as I'd
expect, including /dev/sound and friends.

If this doesn't work for you, would you mind giving us a bit more
information? Some things of note:

What devfs-related options you configured in your kernel,
how devfs is being mounted to /dev,
how devfsd was installed,
and anything else that is related. :)

Dave