Re: undo extraction

> On 20010107.0504, Ethan Benson said ...
>
> On Sun, Jan 07, 2001 at 02:44:38PM +0100, M.B.Midden wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > if extracted GCC_2.95.2.1.tar.gz  because i wanted to compile ProFTPd , and
> > i want to undo it because i have no space left now in my root partition. How
> > can i undo the extraction or remove the files?
>
> rm -rf GCC_2.95.2.1
>
> or whatever directory name was created, all sanly created tarballs
> extract one directory with all the files under that.

I wrote a little perl script [1] that gets the names of the files from
a tarball, then removes all the files and directories found inside the
tarball.

It comes in real handy when a tar archive dumps into the currently
directory and makes a big mess.  Of course you can untar in a temp dir
or use the 't' option to look inside first, but sometimes I put too
much trush in where the tarballs are going to dump and get screwed.

[1] http://www.cogit8.org/download/tarball-clean.txt

-Rob