Re: kernel 2.4, modutils requires libc6 2.1.97

I would like to hear some more details from the maintainer(s)...
I've needed to install 'locales' and 'i18n'  during this process.

I have several machines which are in this state, and I've broken the
equivelent number, trying this.  I just waiting for woody to become
'stable'.

Paul

>>> Jameson wrote:
All suggestions for using kernel 2.4 mention upgrading to modutils in
either woody or sid, for modutils version 2.3.22 or 2.3.23.
However, these have the dependency
   Depends: libc6 (>= 2.1.97)
Since I largely keep a potato distribution, I use libc6 version
   libc6_2.1.3-13
so an upgrade would require upgrading to a woody libc6 version.
This flashes a WARNING to me, since libc is very foundational;
indeed, a few Debian distributions back, most distribution upgrades failed
because of libc changes.
Does an upgrade of libc6 from version 2.1.3 to 2.1.97 largely work?
But more, I no longer see libc6 version 2.1.97, so I must go all the
way to libc6 version libc6_2.2-5 in woody.
Oh my, I have heard people having problems with libc6 version 2.2:
are there problems upgrading to libc6_2.2?

Perhaps my best solution would compile modutils version myself.
Besides, I now notice that the kernel source linux-2.4.0.tar.bz2
document .../Documentation/Changes
has upped the modutils version requirement from 2.3.15 (in linux-2.4.0-test8)
     modutils version 2.4.0  (in linux-2.4.0)
which appears nowhere, not even in the .../pool/* directories.