kernel 2.4, modutils requires libc6 2.1.97

All suggestions for using kernel 2.4 mention upgrading to modutils in
either woody or sid, for modutils version 2.3.22 or 2.3.23.
However, these have the dependency
   Depends: libc6 (>= 2.1.97)
Since I largely keep a potato distribution, I use libc6 version
   libc6_2.1.3-13
so an upgrade would require upgrading to a woody libc6 version.
This flashes a WARNING to me, since libc is very foundational;
indeed, a few Debian distributions back, most distribution upgrades failed
because of libc changes.
Does an upgrade of libc6 from version 2.1.3 to 2.1.97 largely work?
But more, I no longer see libc6 version 2.1.97, so I must go all the
way to libc6 version libc6_2.2-5 in woody.
Oh my, I have heard people having problems with libc6 version 2.2:
are there problems upgrading to libc6_2.2?

Perhaps my best solution would compile modutils version myself.
Besides, I now notice that the kernel source linux-2.4.0.tar.bz2
document .../Documentation/Changes
has upped the modutils version requirement from 2.3.15 (in linux-2.4.0-test8)
     modutils version 2.4.0  (in linux-2.4.0)
which appears nowhere, not even in the .../pool/* directories.

--
Jameson C. Burt, NJ9L   Fairfax, Virginia, USA
jameson@coost.com       http://www.coost.com

You can only find truth with logic if you have already found truth without it.
-- G.K. Chesterton