Apache upgrade help wanted

I'm pretty new to getting a system configured as a web server, and I'd like to
upgrade my Apache from 1.3.9 to 1.3.13 or later.  I've downloaded and
installed v1.3.14.  I'd like to make the fewest changes to my system as
possible to have it use this newer version without removing the prior one.  I
notice that Debian refers to the binaries as "apache" while the one I got from
Apache.org calls them "httpd".  There are some duplications of the Debian
binaries, too.

I've tried to find a newer version on the Debian site, to no avail.

Can anybody who's gone through this process give me some suggestions about how
to do it completely and safely?  (The more details, the better!)

I'm pretty fluent with Unix, but my familiarity with the configuration of
things is about ten years out of date.

Thanks
-David Schwartz