Re: New course for Debian University

On Thu, Dec 28, 2000 at 05:34:57PM -0600, Nathan E Norman wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 28, 2000 at 05:05:30PM -0600, Rob VanFleet wrote:
> > > I think there's confusion between making links in /usr/include and
> > > links in /usr/src.  The first is bad [0], the second is (afaik) not.
> >
> > Hmm, as I understood it, making a /usr/src/linux link is bad, /usr/include,
> > AFAIK, is not the issue.  The module I tried to compiled looked for the
> > kernel-includes in /usr/src/linux/include.  I'm just wondering why
> > /usr/src/linux is bad, and how to tell compiles to look somewhere other than
> > /usr/src/linux.
>
> I'm not trying to be rude, but the only person saying the
> /usr/src/linux symlink is bad is you (and you don't sound convinced :)

Actually it was me who brought this up.  And all I said was that I seemed
to remember, so I'm not sure, could be something totally different, and
elas, debian's archive's search doesn't work for the latest postings,
so I can't easily check.  But I did notice some posts where that very
link (/usr/src/linux) was adviced as a remedy, and such posts didn't
get angry follow-ups explaining how bad it is, so maybe it is just my
rusty memory giving me problems he:)  But I keep hearing this humming
in the back of my head: /usr/src/linux symlink is trouble. Don't know
where I picked it up though.

--
groetjes, carel