Re: Can't start rpc.nfsd

Ethan Benson wrote:

> geez redhat is really screwed up...
>
> the userspace nfsd is much much worse then the kernel space daemon at
> this point, its slow, its a massive resource hog, and does not support
> file locking.  furthermore i don't think the userspace nfsd is
> maintained upstream anymore.
>
> as of 2.2.18 the kernel space nfsd is of very high quality and
> supports NFSv3 to boot.  as for rebooting, i have been running the
> kernel space nfsd since 2.2.14 with hardly any problems (less then
> with the flaky userspace anyway) i have NEVER had to reboot to
> reconfigure it.  2.2.18's new NFS code has solved most if not all the
> little minor glitches and bugs that have been always present in
> linux's previously crappy NFS support.

yeah i read a lot about the nfs guy getting alan to include his
big nfs patches for .18 ..haven't tried .18 myself yet waiting
to see if there are any glaring problems with it before i do.

as for the rebooting, sounds good, i got several new mail
servers comming up soon maybe i will try .18 out on them
(currently running a heavily patched .17) i see the openwall
patch is now available for .18 that is good! you can't
imagine how pissed i was to have to reboot 2 machines
with over 300 days uptime each to restart NFS. even
worse was the fact because they were 300+ days
that was a LONG time before i ever started work
at the company and nobody was around to check to
see if the systems were working properly after they
came back up(i never interact with those systems)
and i had to have the systems up within a few hours
for the backups!! ARGH!! drove me nuts.

i've heard the userspace daemon is really bad
especially in cross platform situations, but
i've even found now that the kernel space
daemon(at least on this one redhat box v6.0
i think) the kernel space NFS is not compadible
with AIX machines we run, the console of the redhat
box floods with errors and very odd activity
happens on the AIX side. luckily its not a problem..
yet. the new .18 patches i bet fix a lot of that
though. (cant wait to totally migrate this
company to debian ..)

nate

--
:::