Re: Can't start rpc.nfsd

> Cameron Matheson wrote:
>
> Hey,
>
> I have a slight problem with my file-swapping.  When I try to start
> rpc.nfsd,
> it gives me the following error:
>
> nfssvc: Function not implemented

a wild guess but you are not using the kernel nfsd package are you?

Package: nfs-server
Section: net
Installed-Size: 260
Maintainer: Herbert Xu <herbert@debian.org>
Architecture: i386
Version: 2.2beta47-4potato.2
Replaces: netstd
Depends: netbase, nfs-common, libc6 (>= 2.1.2), libwrap0
Suggests: ugidd
Filename:
dists/potato/main/binary-i386/net/nfs-server_2.2beta47-4potato.2.deb
Size: 97022
MD5sum: 1b77e03e0edba253754a5df0a888bd5a
 This package contains all necessary programs to make your Linux machine
act
 as an NFS server, being an NFS daemon (rpc.nfsd), a mount daemon
(rpc.mountd).
 .
 Unlike other NFS daemons, this NFS server runs entirely in user space.
This
 makes it a tad slower than other NFS implementations, and also
introduces
 some awkwardnesses in the semantics (for instance, moving a file to a
 different directory will render its file handle invalid).

Package: nfs-kernel-server
Section: net
Installed-Size: 188
Maintainer: Chip Salzenberg <chip@debian.org>
Architecture: i386
Source: nfs-utils
Version: 1:0.1.9.1-1
Replaces: knfs, nfs-server
Provides: knfs, nfs-server
Depends: nfs-common (>= 1:0.1.5), libc6 (>= 2.1.2)
Conflicts: knfs, nfs-server
Filename:
dists/potato/main/binary-i386/net/nfs-kernel-server_0.1.9.1-1.deb
Size: 52108
MD5sum: 4bc47919b5e74950a322cfc9b763c84a
 Use this package if you have a fairly recent kernel (2.2.13 or better)
 and you want to use the kernel-mode NFS server.  The user-mode NFS
 server in the "nfs-server" package is slower but more featureful and
 easier to debug than the kernel-mode server.
 .
 Upstream: SourceForge project "nfs", CVS module nfs-utils.

one thing is you could be attempting to run the kernel mode nfs
server without having kernel support compiled in (or loaded via
module if its capable of being loaded via modules). run
dpkg -l | grep nfs to see which you have ..

my personal experience is that the user space nfs is much more
reliable then the kernel space(only have used the kernel space
on prebuild redhat boxes though) kernel space servers are great
if you never have to reconfigure but i've found every single time
i tried to reconfigure a kernel nfsd(changing /etc/exports) required
a reboot for knfsd to restart properly. maybe it's a problem
specific to redhat, im not sure as any system i build always gets
the userspace nfs.

nate
--
:::