Re: Still cannot get off list

"Rob VanFleet" <rvf@linux-cs.tccw.wku.edu> writes:
> On Fri, Dec 22, 2000 at 08:41:39AM -0700, Gary Hennigan wrote:
> > Before you write to the list on this topic please try to unsubscribe
> > from the list yourself and see what happens. It's really doesn't
> > matter what you did "over the last month". The problem seems to have
> > started this week, and I really doubt it's specific to a "certain
> > group of people". If you can unsubscribe yourself TODAY, then it might
> > be helpful to send us a script of what you did. It does *NOT* help to
> > submit a post to the group and make it sound like it's something we're
> > doing wrong!
> >
> > I've subscribed and unsubscribed myself quite a few times over the
> > years. And yes, that's *years*. I'm no newbie and I've used mailing
> > lists for a *LONG* time and I've failed in all 5 of my attempts over
> > the last 1.5 days to unsubscribe. No, there's definately something
> > wrong and it doesn't help that mail to "listmaster@lists.debian.org"
> > isn't, apparently, actively monitored.
>
> Jeez... calm down...  Did I *say* that *anyone* was doing *anything*
> wrong?  It was my honest assumption that it might have had something
> to do with certain mail situations.  At your recomendation, I
> attempted to unsubscribe again, and noticed that there does seem to
> be something up with it, as I've also previously unsubscribed and
> resubscribed.  Sorry, I made a mistake, there's no need for you to
> get all pissy, beat your chest and try to exert your alpha geek
> status over me ("*years*", "*LONG* time", etc).

Just to make it clear, I already sent a note to Rob, I was *NOT*
trying to "exert my alpha geek status" (good one!:)). I just wanted to
point out that Rob's post wasn't really helpful in finding out what
the problem was. As always, email is lousy for expressing emotion, or
lack thereof as in this case.

Anyway, I've had some rather unpleasant correspondences with the list
maintainers (two were unpleasant anyway, one was quite friendly). They
are aware of the problem and will get around to looking into it.

By the way the unpleasantness was my own fault for sending email to
their personal email addresses instead of
listmaster@lists.debian.org. It wasn't clear to me that the listmaster
address was working since nobody here said they'd heard anything
back. I apologize to the list maintainers, again.

It's been a LONG week....
Gary