OT: Java vs Javascript, and is it in Mozilla?

Okay, so I'm showing my ignorance here.

What's the difference (in 2 sentences or less) between Java and Javascript (as indicated by the Mozilla preference fields for both)? I can't seem to turn on the "Enable Java" preference in M18 (even with a restart of Mozilla), although I can turn on "Enable JavaScript for Navigator".

A related question: I'm trying to run a web-enabled product via M18 on Woody that apparently requires Java. All I get is a blank page. Is this because I don't have Java installed? Does it install into my Woody system, and then Mozilla "sees" it, or does it install into Mozilla, or something else entirely. Is it not installed and that's why I can't turn on the "Enable Java" preference?

Thanks!