debian help

I installed debian in the belief that it would install. Xwindows  simply
will not install. As newcomer I can't work with a program w/o the gui.
I wanted xwindows (eventually kde) ppp connection, printer, netscape and I
want to do experiments with star office and other suites. Debian was
suggested because a lot of people use it and there would be paid support.
This has simply not been the case.
In any event I need to get xwindows - gnome up and running and I can hack
my way to the other goas w/o support.
paul taylor