Re: daily changes of my modem from crw-rw---- to crw-r-----

On Thu, Dec 21, 2000 at 10:20:59AM -0800, Ed wrote:
> I'm using wvdial to to dialup.
            ^^^^^^
Here's your problem.  I loved wvdial, very smart, until this same thing
happened to me.  It's a bug.

> My modem device permissions seem to be getting put to crw-r----- and I
> cannot dialup as a regular user until I set them to crw-rw---- as root.
> I understand that these permissions get changed during a dialup session
> and changed back afterwards.  Something else is going on that is
> occasionally preventing the change back or actually changing permissions
> to crw-r----.

Use pppconfig with "pon" to dial and "poff" to hangup.  pppconfig is very
smart and automated, you'll be pleased.

--
Jonathan Markevich <jmarkevich@mad.scientist.com>
http://www.geocities.com/jmarkevich

Physician:  One upon whom we set our hopes when ill and our dogs when well.
-- Ambrose Bierce