Re: installing pine

Quoting Dwight Johnson (dwj@aaronsrod.com):
> My condolences. I didn't realize you work at Stonehenge. :-)

Yep! BTW, from the Pine Info Center:
pine-bin.sun56 . . . . . . . . . Dec  5 16:53   9559k
which is 25% of my quota, whereas:
359784 Nov 11  1999 bin/mutt

> But then I think I would be at great risk of missing high priority
> personal mail unless it were filtered into its own folder.

Definitely worthwhile. Procmail was another program which, until
last year, I had to have in my own disk space, though it's now
provided.

> In fact, in that
> case, I think I would want a cron job to check the personal mail folder and
> command my computer to emit a beep at intervals to alert me that I have
> personal mail.

There are several biff-type programs available to do just this.
But do check that they correctly juggle the modification/access
times so that mutt also knows that new mail has arrived.
(Particularly if over NFS, apparently.) Search for "biff" in the
Packages file.

> > Submit to your hearts content. These things are a matter of opinion,
> > religion, whatever...
>
> I see. Your opinions are a matter of fact, but mine are merely religion.
>
> > When I post help, I might post opinions with them, particularly
> > when solicited, as here.
                              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Where does it say they're facts? I am just saying that there's no point
in us both writing things like "Pine's help and configuration systems
are vastly superior to mutt" in reply to each other - that's what I
meant by a religious discussion. I didn't mean that my views aren't just
as much religion or prejudice as yours.

BTW I thought "power users" were users who'd learnt everything and
want tools that do just what they want them to do and don't get in
their way. So that's the way I used it in my postings. Sorry if you
meant something different.

Cheers,