Re: installing pine

Quoting Dwight Johnson (dwj@aaronsrod.com):

> These issues concern people who are _not_ beginners. Time is money and
> taking a lot of time to configure an application is wasteful, when an equal
> result can be achieved in much less time with Pine.

As I said, if you're used to pine, just use the pine bindings,
which someone went to the trouble of writing. If you need the
exact location, it's /usr/share/doc/examples/Pine.rc .

> Some years back, storage cost was an issue. But these days, when you can
> buy a 5Gb drive for $130, the expense of storing Pine is only $0.02.
> If Pine saved only a single $100 consulting hour in configuration time, the
> tradeoff would already be gigantic in Pine's favor. The advantage offered
> by mutt's smaller footprint is nill on any platform larger than a PDA or
> cellphone.

Kindly desist from offering this sort of advice. I am not party to
institutional decisions. Oh, and read my signature.

> On the contrary, the power user does want these aids. The power user wants
> to make efficient use of his time by being able to quickly access help to
> execute commands that perhaps he uses only occasionally, like printing an
> e-mail or finding a particular e-mail by searching for a keyword, without
> having to search through a nearly endless alphabetical list of commands or
> waste brain synapses memorizing something he might do only once a week or
> less.

It sounds as if you haven't noticed that / will search and highlight
in the help screen as well as elsewhere.

> There is, in fact, an option in Pine to not display these lines of command
> prompts. However, in 4-1/2 years of using Pine, I have not yet begun to
> find these help prompts obtrusive.

Well, that surprises me.

> Only in one respect, that I can see based on my brief exposure, is mutt
> better -- mutt is a better _threaded_ mail reader. It looks like a lot of
> effort has been put into mutt's threading features. People who want a
> threaded mail reader may well prefer mutt. Since I want to process my
> mail _strictly_ in arrival order, threaded is not a feature I would ever
> use.

It beats me how you can deal with high volume lists (like this one)
without threading.

> Pine's help and configuration systems are vastly superior to mutt -- making
> Pine much easier to learn and use on a daily basis -- I submit that these
> features are highly significant for 'power users' who value their time.

Submit to your hearts content. These things are a matter of opinion,
religion, whatever...

When I post help, I might post opinions with them, particularly
when solicited, as here. But I'm not interested in discussing
religious issues nor indulging in a flame war.

Cheers,