Re: Stupid question

On Mon, Dec 18, 2000 at 09:21:02PM +0100, Gary Jones wrote:
> Okay, stupid question time.
>
> What is the best way of connecting to the 'net? I don't mean the
> mechanicals, which connection type to use, that sort of thing, but
> rather which account(s) should do so. Preferably I don't want to
> connect as root, but some things (e.g. collecting mail or news) might
> be better done as root or might /need/ to be done as root, or at
> least some specific user with the right permissions which might be
> different for the different tasks. What's the best thing to do? I've
> never really seen a decent discussion about this, since I started
> fiddling about with Linux (on and off, about 2 years).
>
> ------------------------------

Well, I think you should just continue doing things as a regular user.
I get my mail via fetchmail --run as a regular user.  It delivers my
mail via procmail using the 'mda' keyword in the config file.  I use
sendmail to get my mail, kindly configured by the install-sendmail
script, and run 'postconnect "/usr/sbin/sendmail -q"' from the tail end
of my .fetchmailrc.  So all my mail is fetched and sent in one fell swoop.

News may be a bit different; I don't know if ordinary users can run the
'fetchnews' command from leafnode.  In any event, you should be able to
either run these periodically from a cron script as root for news or if
you are doing multidrop fetchmail, or from the ppp up and down scripts.

What user you connect to the net with otherwise shouldn't matter, I think.

Monte