Re: Stupid question

At Mon, 18 Dec 2000 22:12:10 +0000 , Matthew Sackman <matthew@sackman.co.uk> wrote:

>It generally doesn't matter: so long as you are able to dial up then the other
>processes take care of themselves.
[...]
>the details are
>in /etc/ppp/ip-up.d/

There are similar files for isdn which I use, and you are of course
correct. I should have been more clear - I don't really want to have
these things done automatically every time a user connects, partly
because I want to do things when I want them to and not when
circumstances dictate a connection occurs, and partly because it isn't
what I would call 'clean' - for me the ip-up & down stuff is for
setting up (& bringing down) what is necessary for the connection to
operate, so the starting of a firewall is appropriate, because nobody
should go onto the 'net without one IMO, but the collection of news
(for example) is not.

I guess my options are to either frig about with user & group
ownership which is somewhat involved and hardly maintenance hassle
free, or to have some scripts available to end users which can do the
work necessary (which scripts would need to somehow obtain the correct
user/permissions to do such work, so I suppose I could have phrased
the question as "How would the scripts best get that permission?").
Is there a better way?

--
Gary

Get your own FREE E-mail address at http://www.linuxfreemail.com
Linux FREE Mail is 100% FREE, 100% Linux, and 100% yours!