Re: I screwed up my apt/dpkg system

Scott Bronson wrote:
> This message does belong on debian-user, but it's certainly not Progeny's
> fault.  debconf breaks under Perl 5.6.  And a few Woody packages are
> beginning to require 5.6...

No, perl 5.6 is simply a broken package.

> <aside>
> Why the heck isn't debconf written in C?  This happens to me ALL the
> time (well, every other month or so).  Something as fundamental as
> debconf really should not have so many dependencies.
> </aside>

There are a couple of answers. I never in my wildest dreams belived
that a core component of debian (perl) could break and remain broken as
long as it has. I'm getting pretty dissatisfied with the job its
maintainer is doing.

The other answer is that since I am the one who put approximatly 150
man-days into debconf, I am the one who gets to make the decision about
what lanaguage it is written in, and it was clear from the beginning
that I was able to be most productive for this particular application with
perl. If you feel like second guessing me, feel free to contribute to
cdebconf, but there is nothing I hate more than language advocates
pissing in the wind.

--
see shy jo