Stupid question

Okay, stupid question time.

What is the best way of connecting to the 'net? I don't mean the
mechanicals, which connection type to use, that sort of thing, but
rather which account(s) should do so. Preferably I don't want to
connect as root, but some things (e.g. collecting mail or news) might
be better done as root or might /need/ to be done as root, or at
least some specific user with the right permissions which might be
different for the different tasks. What's the best thing to do? I've
never really seen a decent discussion about this, since I started
fiddling about with Linux (on and off, about 2 years).