Re: apt-get with Packages out of arbitrary directory?

On 19-Dec-2000 David Z. Maze wrote:
> Manegold  <manegold@uni-trier.de> writes:
> M> Is there a way to use apt-get on packages in a directory somewhere
> on a
> M> system, that are not organized like archive and that do not have
> M> Packages.gz files
>
> Nope.
>
> M> (how are those created anyhow?).
>
> Install the dpkg-dev package, and look at the dpkg-scanpackages
> program and its documentation.

Thanks will do that. Maybe I will find what I'm looking for there.

> M> The reason I ask is, that I have a system that has fast internet
> access
> M> and apt-get works great in such a situation. I also want to use the
> M> downloaded packages, which I have apt-get leave undeleted, to update
> my
> M> home system, which has only a 14400 Baud connection for e-mail, by
> M> placing them on a CD. So far I had to install them manually via dpkg
> -i.
> M> Apt-get was useless in that situation (or I did not know how to make
> it
> M> usefull).
>
> What's wrong with using 'dpkg --install'?  'apt-get's major utility
> here is in automagically downloading packages other packages depend
> on, but if you don't have any way to download packages you aren't
> installing then it's far less useful.

Well apt-get allows upgrading with dpkg -i I have to do it by hand and in
the correct order, which is a pain if you want to upgrade 100s of
packages or only install kde2 instead of the version potato comes with.
I'd like a way to do apt-get upgrade at home too, but without Internet
access and using the Packages that I download on the other computer.

> (This objection goes away if you're creating relatively complete CDs
> with just about every Debian package.  You might also look at the

No need to go that far to make dpkg -i a pain compared to the ease of
apt-get upgrade on the connected computer (I know I'm spoiled by that
kind of easy upgrade ;-) ).

> apt-move program, which is supposed to deal with this case fairly
> well.)

Yep. Apt-move I used, but It only works with packages that are in the
current release. Therefore if I have other packages sources (like
kde.tdyc.com for kde2 on potato), apt-get will happily use them. Apt-
move, however, skips those packages. Unfortunately apt-move
does not allow simply making use of what's in /etc/apt/sources.list, but
uses it's own sources in apt-move.conf. And there is no way to add other
sources there besides the standard archive with it's sections.

Greetings
Thorsten Manegold
--
                               \\|//