Re: apt-get with Packages out of arbitrary directory?

Manegold  <manegold@uni-trier.de> writes:
M> Is there a way to use apt-get on packages in a directory somewhere on a
M> system, that are not organized like archive and that do not have
M> Packages.gz files

Nope.

M> (how are those created anyhow?).

Install the dpkg-dev package, and look at the dpkg-scanpackages
program and its documentation.

M> The reason I ask is, that I have a system that has fast internet access
M> and apt-get works great in such a situation. I also want to use the
M> downloaded packages, which I have apt-get leave undeleted, to update my
M> home system, which has only a 14400 Baud connection for e-mail, by
M> placing them on a CD. So far I had to install them manually via dpkg -i.
M> Apt-get was useless in that situation (or I did not know how to make it
M> usefull).

What's wrong with using 'dpkg --install'?  'apt-get's major utility
here is in automagically downloading packages other packages depend
on, but if you don't have any way to download packages you aren't
installing then it's far less useful.

(This objection goes away if you're creating relatively complete CDs
with just about every Debian package.  You might also look at the
apt-move program, which is supposed to deal with this case fairly
well.)

--
David Maze             dmaze@mit.edu          http://www.mit.edu/~dmaze/
	-- Abra Mitchell