Re: apt-get with Packages out of arbitrary directory?

Manegold@uni-trier.de wrote:

> On 19-Dec-2000 David Z. Maze wrote:
> > Manegold  <manegold@uni-trier.de> writes:
> > M> Is there a way to use apt-get on packages in a directory somewhere
> > on a
> > M> system, that are not organized like archive and that do not have
> > M> Packages.gz files
> >
> > Nope.
> >
> > M> (how are those created anyhow?).
> >
> > Install the dpkg-dev package, and look at the dpkg-scanpackages
> > program and its documentation.
>
> Thanks will do that. Maybe I will find what I'm looking for there.
>

> > M> The reason I ask is, that I have a system that has fast internet
> > access
> > M> and apt-get works great in such a situation. I also want to use the
> > M> downloaded packages, which I have apt-get leave undeleted, to update
> > my
> > M> home system, which has only a 14400 Baud connection for e-mail, by
> > M> placing them on a CD. So far I had to install them manually via dpkg
> > -i.
> > M> Apt-get was useless in that situation (or I did not know how to make
> > it
> > M> usefull).
> >
> > What's wrong with using 'dpkg --install'?  'apt-get's major utility
> > here is in automagically downloading packages other packages depend
> > on, but if you don't have any way to download packages you aren't
> > installing then it's far less useful.
>
> Well apt-get allows upgrading with dpkg -i I have to do it by hand and in
> the correct order, which is a pain if you want to upgrade 100s of
> packages or only install kde2 instead of the version potato comes with.
> I'd like a way to do apt-get upgrade at home too, but without Internet
> access and using the Packages that I download on the other computer.
> [...]

You could copy the packages in "/var/cache/apt/archives/" and the file you find
in "/var/state/apt/lists/", modify the "/etc/apt/sources.list" to use the same
source, launch "apt-get update" (and ignore the message about the index file
failed to download, apt will use the list files you copied), and use "apt-get
install your_package".

You could copy the package in a directory of your choice, for example in your
home, and using this new directory instead of the default with "apt-get -o
dir::cache::archives="/mnt/guest/pack/" install your_package".

In "/usr/share/doc/apt/offline.text.gz" you will find more tips...

Andrea