Re: The Debian way (kernel)

Jonathan Gift wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 18, 2000 at 08:58:35AM -0700, Gary Hennigan wrote:
> >
> > As to your question, what you're looking for is the kernel-package
> > package. So
> >         apt-get install kernel-package
> >         cd /usr/share/doc/kernel-package
> >         zcat README.gz|less
>
> I've compiled my default kernel numerous times and am quite
> comfortable doing it now. Upgrading to the current 2.2.18 would
> mean applying just one patch?

Yes, provided you're sure you have the final version of the 2.2.17
source - I've heard that some of the Potato releases had the almost
final pre* release installed as the source tree. Check to make sure.

> And would that patch be on the potato ftp?

Not yet, but real soon now... (see below for one place that has it).

> And... would I use xconfif after???

Yes, or whatever takes your fancy. I like xconfig too - especially
the button that lets you import your old .config file... maybe you
can do this with menuconfig too, I wouldn't know.

> Thanks, the docs I can get to. Just need a pointer.

Try this: ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.2/patch-2.2.18.bz2

It's only 2978 KB, much less than the whole kernel, which is 14921 KB!

--
Best regards,
   .~.