Surfboard 4100 cable modem?

  (yes, this is slightly non-Debian related, but I hope people will bear with
   me and not send me too much hate mail)

  A cousin of mine is wondering if his Surfboard 4100 will work with Linux.
I'm not familiar with cable modems, and I don't have physical access to the
system, so I'm punting and asking this list.

  I thought cable-modems generally were external things that used an ethernet
board in the computer itself to hook the system up to the cable box.  However,
he says that Windows doesn't have a driver for any sort of Ethernet card,
instead it has some sort of "Motorola Surfboard 4100" driver.  This suggests
to me that they have their own private type of Ethernet card that will have
to be handled.  Does anyone know first if this is correct, and second if
there's any hope of getting the Linux kernel to talk to these devices?  I
didn't see any promising drivers (aside from a SurfBoard 1000, which is
completely different) in the kernel.

  If you know anything about this card, please email both of us (group reply)
since we aren't subscribed to -user.  (you could just email me, but I'd
like to keep him informed)

   Thanks,
  Daniel
--
/----------------- Daniel Burrows <Daniel_Burrows@brown.edu> -----------------\
|                  Fate always wins...                                        |