Re: Debian 2.2: download stops during "apt-get update"

I still haven't been able to get 2.2 to network properly.  A suggestion
was a possible hardware problem.  I don't see how this would explain
the problem.  If I boot off the harddrive with Debian 1.3, everything
works fine.  Booting off the harddrive with Debian 2.2 and the problem
shows up.  No hardware changes.  Also, when the download hangs, I can
still access the Internet (ping, ftp, etc.).

Anyway, I tried a clean install again and this time only installed the
serial and ppp modules and tried downloading the system again.  The
download still hangs after about 30k and times out.  The network is
still up.  I can ping the Internet.  I can ping the site I am
downloading from.  I can restart the download (tried using both apt-get
and ftp with the same result) which begins again, but times out again
after downloading some more.

I got ipgrab and tcpdump to download (restarting each time the download
hung).  They don't show me anything unusual (not that I would know it
if they did ;).  The only thing I see is with plog which shows the
following at just about the time the lights stop flashing on the modem:

rcvd [Compressed date] 00 37 1e ...
sent [CCP ResetReq id=0x6]
rcvd [CCP ResetAck id=0xb]

The numeric values vary with each occurance.  Also, ipgrab shows after
each timeout a new port is used to connect to my machine with.  This
may all be normal stuff.

I would appreciate any help this group could offer in troubleshooting
this.

Thanks,
   Jeff