Re: Surfboard 4100 cable modem?

On Sun, 17 Dec 2000 23:11:07 -0500
Daniel Burrows <Daniel_Burrows@brown.edu> wrote:

>   I thought cable-modems generally were external things that used an
> ethernet
> board in the computer itself to hook the system up to the cable box.
> However,
> he says that Windows doesn't have a driver for any sort of Ethernet
> card,
> instead it has some sort of "Motorola Surfboard 4100" driver.  This
> suggests
> to me that they have their own private type of Ethernet card that will
> have
> to be handled.  Does anyone know first if this is correct, and second if
> there's any hope of getting the Linux kernel to talk to these devices?
> didn't see any promising drivers (aside from a SurfBoard 1000, which is
> completely different) in the kernel.

The Surfboard 4100 can indeed be connected to a Linux box. As long as the
Linux box has an ethernet card and is configured correctly to use it, the
Surfboard will work.

The latest version of the Surfboard has an alternative method of
connecting to the PC by using USB - maybe this is what you mean when you
say that Windows appears to have a Surfboard driver and no ethernet
driver?

--
Phillip Deackes
Using Storm Linux 2000