Re: exim configuration--maildir-NFS

    >> maildir is mostly of interest when you want to export the mail
    >> spool over NFS - NFS has poor file locking capabilities, and
    >> the single-file mbox mail spools can get easily corrupted in
    >> situations where many programs are trying to perform operations
    >> on the user's main main mail spool (and the user mailboxes
    >> under ~/mail/) at once.

Maildir, I believe, is also of interest to non-NFS systems, too.

eg. consider what would happen if the computer has started to write to
the mbox file, and the power failed...

With mbox format, there is no easy way to perform atomic "add"
operations, and in the above case you are likely to get duplicate
mails and/or serious mbox corruption.

With Maildir you might end up with some files in the folders tmp
directory that don't automatically go away (not sure on the details
here), but apart from that no corruption will occur.
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>