Re: exim configuration--maildir-NFS

On Sunday 17 December 2000 14:08, Phil Brutsche wrote:

> A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far way, someone said...
>
> > I have the same issues.  I plan on using NFS and exporting my home
> > directory. Will this be a problem just using the default options that
> > IMAP installs with?  I have already sucessfully installed exim, imap, and
> > fetchmail. Everything seems to work fine from the winbox.  I haven't
> > tested it from my Debian box yet because I wanted to get the mail up
> > before I started messing with NFS.  Should I consider using the maildir
> > format?
>
> If everything works great now, no.
>
> > And if so, what are the reasons?
>
> maildir is mostly of interest when you want to export the mail spool over
> NFS - NFS has poor file locking capabilities, and the single-file mbox
> mail spools can get easily corrupted in situations where many programs are
> trying to perform operations on the user's main main mail spool (and the
> user mailboxes under ~/mail/) at once.
>
> I switched to maildir because I wanted to access my mail spool over NFS,
> and I felt I couldn't safely do that if I wasn't using maildirs.
>
> Keep in mind, though, that if you do switch to maildir, you'll need to
> replace the imap package with the courier-imap package.

Great explanation.  I asked the same question on my local LUG mailing list
and got a dissertation on the benefits/problems of NFS.  Thank you very much.

Does using IMAP (this is the potato package called imap) mean I won't have
the ability to have multiple folders?  The reason I'm asking is I read the
following in /usr/share/doc/exim/README.Debian:

The following is an example of what you can do with .forward files in exim;
you might find it useful. It matches any of the debian mailing lists and
saves mails from them in appropriate mailboxes:

        # Exim filter
        if $h_x-mailing-list matches "^<debian-(.*)@lists\\\\.debian\\\\.org>"
        then seen save $home/Mail/debian/$1 endif

I'm subscribed to several mailing lists and I'd like to keep them all
seperate if I could (using this filter).  This appears to be a .forward
filter which works on maildir format.  Is that a correct assumption?

Maybe a better question is this:
I'd like to be able to keep my mail on the server, filter and organize it
into manageable directories (i.e. keep my personal email seperate from the
lists), and access it from other workstations.  What is the "best" way to do
this?  I'm not asking for "the" way just "a" way I can accomplish it with
minimal fuss.  I want to keep my email and important documents on the server
as I do (destructive) testing on my workstation frequently, which in turn
needs to be documented.

TIA,
Jesse

P.S.  I have already learned a great deal from this list and I'd like to
thank anyone who takes the time to answer these.  Especially you Phil.