Re: Can you play sounds over the net in Potato?

on Sun, Dec 17, 2000 at 01:19:18PM +0000, Anthony Campbell (a.campbell@doctors.org.uk) wrote:
> Various sites offer you the option to play sound over the net but all
> require you to have some software to enable this.  I followed some links
> for this in Linux Debian but they were all for Woody, which I don't want
> to upgrade to yet.
>
> Is there anything available for Potato?

This is a question which requires a case-by-case answer.

  - Primitive file formats (e.g.:  *.au, *.wav), can be handled through
    the 'play' command (sox package).

  - *.ra and *.ram are played by the proprietary RealPlayer player,
    there's a Debian wrapper package but you have to download the
    program yourself.

  - Flash is supported with the Shockwave Flash plugin for Netscape,
    Mozilla, etc.  Think twice before accepting it -- there's a hell of
    a lot of Flash abuse on the Net right now.

  - Some movie formats play with xanim, though this is primitive.
    There's an xmms plugin for handling several other formats.

  - Quicktime and Windows Media Player formats don't currently play
    under GNU/Linux natively, though you might check with Wine
    emulation.