Re: Kernel compiling on Debian

Correct.  Install kernel-package and take a look at
/usr/share/doc/kernel-package/README.gz.  There is a recommendation
there to use an epoch when creating your package, which will prevent it
from being overwritten during an upgrade.

For your question regarding CD-Writing, I would recommend that you take
a look at the CD-Writing-HOWTO.  For my ATAPI CD writer, I use
'modprobe ide-scsi' to install the correct module.

Bob

--
Bob Nielsen, N7XY                          nielsen@oz.net
Bainbridge Island, WA                      http://www.oz.net/~nielsen