Where do I go from here? was: HT configure an IDE/ATAPI ZIP drive?

Seeing as my thread has peetered out, I was wondering if anybody had
any ideas of where else I might ask the question. I have searched on
Google and Northernlight, and none of the information retrieved there
has gone beyond the good suggestions offered here.

For those new to this thread, my question concerns an internal
IDE/ATAPI ZIP drive. I can mount/read/write/umount the drive, but I
cannot eject it: either by the hardware eject button on the drive, or
by software tools such as eject or jazip. All kernel configurations
suggested thus far (such as SCSI emulation or IDE Floppy support) have
not produced an eject.

In other words, the kernel is configured so that the device works
correctly in all respects, EXCEPT for an eject (by hardware or
software).

Eric Miller suggested looking for a tool that would send the right
ioctl to the kernel. That might be a useful avenue of inquiry, but
first I need one of you kind folks to explain to me what that means.
;-)  He mentioned in that vein tools such as jazip, which fails.

One peculiar thing about all this is that, again, a HARDWARE eject
command (pressing the button) won't work. Why would that be?

Thank you for your help,

Dan

--
Dan Griswold